Here I am writing again about a recipe from Rachel Khoo’s Little Paris Kitchen. Today it is a rustic savory cake from the “picnic” session – so this will come in handy for the spring season that is finally starting! It is extremely easy and quick to make. It is not only a perfect picnic cake, but also a party cake or an afternoon tea treat for those who are not fond of sweet cakes.
Now that I have tried this version, I would like to elaborate variations as well. You can play with many different ingredients other than cured sausage, pistachios and prunes, also depending on what you have available at home. Next time I will try it with caramelized onions, walnuts and gorgonzola cheese.
Recipe from “Little Paris Kitchen” by Rachel Khoo
250 g plain flour
15 g baking powder
150 g cured French sausage or salame, finely chopped
80 g pistachios, roughly chopped
100 g prunes, roughly chopped
100 ml milk
150 ml cup olive oil
50 g plain yogurt
1 tsp salt
1. Preheat the oven to 200° and line a 1 pound loaf pan with parchment paper.
2. In a bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, sausage, pistachios and prunes.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs until thick and pale in colour.
4. Gradually whisk in the milk and yogurt, then add salt and season with pepper. finally fold in the flour, bit by bit. Try not to over mix. Undermixing is best for this recipe.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted int he center of the cake comes out clean. Leave to cool in the pan.