A few weeks ago, when I realized we would have had a rainy weekend ahead of us in Milan, I thought it would have been the right occasion to try some of those recipes that I had been wanting to cook for a while. My mum gave me a fantastic book for Christmas a few years ago: In the mood for food by Jo Pratt (Italian friends, you can find the version in Italian here). The book is divided in sections depending on your mood: healthy food, succulent and tasty food, need for food & cuddle, too lazy to cook, extravagant cooking, romantic food. After flipping through the pages and checking the recipes that I had signed some times ago, I picked a few, went to the supermarket to buy all I needed and finally let the cooking weekend start.
I tried two dishes from the healthy food section: herbs omelette with cherry tomato and crunchy ham; soy sea bass and tomato sauce with ginger. Finally on Sunday I tried something from the need for food & cuddle section: roasted chicken for two in one pot.
Herbs omelette with cherry tomato and crunchy ham
Ingredients (for 1 omelette):
6 Cherry tomato
2-3 slices of ham (prosciutto crudo)
1 spoon of Parmesan cheese
1-2 teaspoons of herbs finaly cut (basil, chives, parsley, oregano, dill)
a spoon of milk
– Put the cherry tomato (sprinkled with Parmesan cheese, olive oil, salt and pepper) and the ham in the oven for 3-4 minutes. Turn the ham to make it crunchy on both sides. The tomato need to cook until the skin breaks, they might need a bit longer than the ham.
– Mix the eggs with the herbs, a little bit of milk (to make it softer) and celery salt.
– Melt some butter on a pan and pour the eggs. Use a rubber spatula to prevent it from sticking and fold the omelette.
Soy sea bass and tomato sauce with ginger
Ingredients (makes four servings):
For the soy sea bass:
– 3 spoons of soy sauce
– 2 spoons of sugar
– 4 sea bass filets
– olive oil
For the tomato sauce
– 8 mature tomatoes
– 10 gr of freshly grated ginger
– 1 clove of garlic finely cut
– 1 1/2 spoon of sugar
– 1 teaspoon of white vinegar
– salt, black pepper
– Mix the soy sauce and sugar in a pot. Marinate the sea bass for 20-30 minutes.
– For the sauce: cut the tomato and put them in a pan with the ginger, garlic, sugar and vinegar. Bring it to a boil and cook for 20-25 minutes until it thickens. Season with salt and pepper.
– Warm up some oil in a pan and fry the marinated sea bass for a couple of minutes on both sides until cooked.
– Serve the fish with the sauce, vegetables and/or rice.
Roasted chicken for two in one pot
Ingredients (makes four servings):
500 gr of spring potatoes
4 cloves of garlic
1 glass of sherry
1 teaspoon of honey
100 ml of chicken stock
150 gr of green peas
2 spoons of cream
– Preheat the oven at 200°
– Cook the potatoes in boiling water with salt for 10-12 minutes until they are almost cooked.
– Brush the chicken with the garlic and the lemon juice and fill the chicken with them the remaining garlic and lemon slices. Put the chicken with the rosemary, the shallots and the potatoes in a baking tray. Season with olive oil, salt and pepper. Cook for 1 hour approximately (depending on the size of the chicken).
– When the chicken is cooked, remove it from the pan, as well as the shallots, potatoes, rosemary, lemons and garlic. Filter the sauce remaining in the baking tray and put it on a pot on the stove. Add the sherry and honey and bring to a boil. Add the stock and bring it to a boil for a few minutes before adding the green peas. Continue cooking and add the cream until it thickens.
– Serve the chicken with the potatoes, shallots and sauce.